BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, May-26-2008, 02:27:27 AM   #1
Fly'n DuthhMan
Apex Sniper

United States

Default D/A + CSL Header and Multi Exhaust System Test (Dyno Results

Below is a link to the dyno test results from extensive dyno test sessions I did in cooperation with Sean from Discovery Automotive, Peter Van Wingerden at HP Autowerks and Bob at Bimmer Performance Store.

This is the data that was used in the Roundel tuning article that was suppose to be in print some time back.

All the dyno runs were done over the course of a two to three months on the same dyno. The peak numbers are the average of the three best pulls. As some of you are already aware, there were some issues with certain mid pipe designs causing a resonance that would force the VANOS to adjust wildly and resulted in a sharp torque drop in the lower RPM ranges. Some of you have reported this as "hesitation" and PM'd me about the problem. My understanding is that later production versions of the midpipes resolved this issue.

We analyized the problem extensively, trying many combinations of exhausts and midpipe, both on the dyno and while driving onboard scan tool where we could watch the VANOS in real time. Peter, with the help of the guys at D/A and Gustav at GSP concluded that crossover location in the midpipe was the culprit. Moving the crossover location too far forward in the midpipe was detrimental to the low and mid range torque, even though it would otherwise produce a "hero" peak hp number on non-vanos cars.

For comfirmation, Peter hand built a "custom" midpipe using a high grade Burn Stainless x pipe cross over. (see pics.) The final result was that we were able to maintain peak power levels and resolve the low end torque drop/hesitation issues. We also tested a "mod/straight" pipe with no crossover in it at all, this did not yield the best results even though it did solve the torque drop/hesitation issue. Further confirming the effect of improperly placed crossover.

I have dozens of dyno sheets, with various layovers, rather than post them all I'll just keep and eye on the thread and see what you guys are most interested in.

The dyno sheet that I posted was our best reproduceable result which shows an honest 37rwhp gain using D/A Race 91 octane software, coated CSL header, custom midpipe with Burns Stainless crossover, AFE intake, and Borla exhaust.

(The UUC exhaust that was tested here, was a prototype that never went into production.)

The test car is 2002 manual M3 with D/A 91 octane "race program", CSL Jet Hot coated headers, AFE intake, and the various exhuast systems, the car only had BHS underdrive pulleys. All dyno pulls including the baselines were done at A&A Corvette in Oxnard CA, 200ft above sea level.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet summary...
http://www.brouwersusa.com/Exhaust%20Matrix.xls
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03386.JPG (115.4 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03389.JPG (120.4 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg HP Burns vs. Stock Baseline.jpg (112.5 KB, 1651 views)

Last edited by Fly'n DuthhMan; Fri, Apr-24-2009 at 09:05:05 PM.
Jump to top Fly'n DuthhMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, May-26-2008, 02:35:29 AM   #2
ArtM3
Banned

that is goodd data and test method...

amazing the loss of low end torque with some combo's
Jump to top ArtM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-26-2008, 02:53:22 AM   #3
Fly'n DuthhMan
Apex Sniper

United States

For those of you data geeks... here is the summary of every run and configuration, including the baseline.

There are two worksheets in this file, one is a "Chart 1" visually summarizes all the data, and "Sheet 1" actually has all the data in it.

http://www.brouwersusa.com/Dyno_Data...preadsheet.xls
Old Mon, May-26-2008, 04:10:27 AM   #4
Serious

In the garage:

United States

37whp is crazy... thats pretty impressive for just intake/headers/software/pullies/exhaust.
Motorcycling is wonderful in that way, especially racing. There's precious little bullshit when you're involved with it at the extremes. If you make a mistake, there's no blaming it on someone else-the ground comes up and slaps you right now, and no amount of smooth talking is going to buy you any more front-end grip or any more talent. Want to learn about personal responsibility? Here are the keys.
Jump to top Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-26-2008, 06:44:44 AM   #5
a_Y

so where does that custom midpipe go? is it in section 1 or 2? im guess its in the section 1 place as you are not running cats? will we be able to get our hands on that custom midpipe ? thanks!

2005 CB ZCP
2009 SL63 AMG
Jump to top a_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-26-2008, 01:02:05 PM   #6
cntrvrsy

United Nations

Very interesting as I have been thinking of putting my RDSport crossover section2 back on in favor of the SS X-pipe that's on the car now.

sig engineered by Fcukupayme
Jump to top cntrvrsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-26-2008, 03:03:18 PM   #7
M3R1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly'n DuthhMan View Post
Below is a link to the dyno test results from extensive dyno test sessions I did in cooperation with Sean from Discovery Automotive, Peter Van Wingerden at HP Autowerks and Bob at Bimmer Performance Store.

This is the data that was used in the Roundel tuning article that was suppose to be in print some time back.

All the dyno runs were done over the course of a two to three months on the same dyno. The peak numbers are the average of the three best pulls. As some of you are already aware, there were some issues with certain mid pipe designs causing a resonance that would force the VANOS to adjust wildly and resulted in a sharp torque drop in the lower RPM ranges. Some of you have reported this as "hesitation" and PM'd me about the problem. My understanding is that later production versions of the midpipes resolved this issue.

We analyized the problem extensively, trying many combinations of exhausts and midpipe, both on the dyno and while driving onboard scan tool where we could watch the VANOS in real time. Peter, with the help of the guys at D/A and Gustav at GSP concluded that crossover location in the midpipe was the culprit. Moving the crossover location too far forward in the midpipe was detrimental to the low and mid range torque, even though it would otherwise produce a "hero" peak hp number on non-vanos cars.

For comfirmation, Peter hand built a "custom" midpipe using a high grade Burn Stainless x pipe cross over. (see pics.) The final result was that we were able to maintain peak power levels and resolve the low end torque drop/hesitation issues. We also tested a "mod/straight" pipe with no crossover in it at all, this did not yield the best results even though it did solve the torque drop/hesitation issue. Further confirming the effect of improperly placed crossover.

I have dozens of dyno sheets, with various layovers, rather than post them all I'll just keep and eye on the thread and see what you guys are most interested in.

The dyno sheet that I posted was our best reproduceable result which shows an honest 37rwhp gain using D/A Race 91 octane software, coated CSL header, custom midpipe with Burns Stainless crossover, AFE intake, and Borla exhaust.

(The UUC exhaust that was tested here, was a prototype that never went into production.)

The test car is 2002 manual M3 with D/A 91 octane "race program", CSL Jet Hot coated headers, AFE intake, and the various exhuast systems, the car only had BHS underdrive pulleys. All dyno pulls including the baselines were done at A&A Corvette in Oxnard CA, 200ft about sea level.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet summary...
http://www.brouwersusa.com/Exhaust%20Matrix.xls
Were these tests performed without cats. 37hp without low end loss is fantastic. I think DA has similar packages using AP headers, will the AP headers yeild similar gains?

03' Topaz M3 and 98' R1 - SOLD
Jump to top M3R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-29-2008, 06:32:40 AM   #8
Fly'n DuthhMan
Apex Sniper

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Were these tests performed without cats. 37hp without low end loss is fantastic. I think DA has similar packages using AP headers, will the AP headers yeild similar gains?

Sorry... forgot to put that in there... the stock baseline had cats and the modded "best" result was with out cats.

We didn't have the time or the money to test differnt cat pipes because it would require reflashing of the computer as well. As it was we swapped so many exhausts so many times, Peter/HP was nice enough to donate all the labor and several manufactures loaned parts, some even sent prototypes to see how their designs were stacking up. I'd like to think that in the end all benefited; low cost R&D for manufactures and a better end product for us the consumer.

I regret not being able to test the Supersprint stepped headers, but the stepped headers were pretty new and to pricey to ask HP Autowerks/Discovery Automotive/Bimmer Performance Store to donate especially considering the labor involved in swapping headers... we had to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited by Fly'n DuthhMan; Thu, May-29-2008 at 07:16:42 AM.
Old Mon, May-26-2008, 03:33:36 PM   #9
Mr.G3
Resident User

United States

Are all the borla midpipes tested the v2 version (because only the last row mentions such).

Also, looking at those numbers is making me rethink my full borla catback plans (midpipe+muffler)

Last edited by Mr.G3; Mon, May-26-2008 at 04:11:02 PM.
Jump to top Mr.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-26-2008, 03:56:28 PM   #10
lax01

United States

How does a freaking mid-pipe effect the cam timing?
2012 Ducati Streetfigher 848 - sold
Jump to top lax01 is offline   Reply With Quote