BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Mar-12-2012, 01:55:54 AM   #31
Terrapin

In the garage:

Default Re: Terrapin

Couple of pics with the new suspension. Wish I knew how to work my DSLR...

Old Thu, Mar-22-2012, 01:35:32 AM   #32
Terrapin

In the garage:

To break up my AST project and my Android project I thought I'd rebuild my amp rack. Previously it was attached to the top of the trunk. But for no good reason I decided to redo it all and put it under the floor panel. Hopefully it doesn't overheat down there...

Now you see it

Now you dont!

Old Sun, Apr-08-2012, 01:56:33 AM   #33
Terrapin

In the garage:

Did some testing today to see what would fit. Seems like 275's on OEM 18's come really close to the front fender liners at full lock. Fortunately that situation doesn't really happen on the track so I should be ok. I had 12mm spacers in the rear on that photo but probably won't run them as it looks like they may rub the fender under compression.

I also flushed my brakes and clutch and finally took out the CDV while I was at it. I didn't have the line clamped off well so fluid leaked all over the floor but after all that it may have been worth it. The clutch feels so much more direct and predictable. Hopefully I'll get a better test drive tomorrow and maybe some better pictures of the track wheel setup.

few more:

Last edited by Terrapin; Sun, Apr-08-2012 at 11:24:32 PM.
Jump to top Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-21-2012, 09:30:53 AM   #34
//AM3RIC

In the garage:

United States

I like how the car is coming along,

LED tails anytime soon?
Old Sun, Apr-22-2012, 03:20:49 PM   #35
Terrapin

In the garage:

Probably not going with LED tail lights till the stock ones break. They don't bother me and I'd rather spend that money on a trackday.

Coming up next week: swapping out the OTHER FCAB that I should have changed at the same time as the first one . Even better, I'll be taking the droop spacers out of the front suspension . That means another alignment but at least everything will be set up correctly for VIR in 2 weeks. Lesson: do it right the first time. Also, I finally found some Federal RS-R's in stock and got myself a set of 265's for my copper OEMs. I mainly went with the federals since they were $300 less than the hankook rs-3's and from what I've read they perform well enough for ham fisted amateurs like me. I'll report back in 2 weeks.

Last edited by Terrapin; Sun, Apr-22-2012 at 03:27:00 PM.
Old Fri, Apr-27-2012, 06:52:23 PM   #36
Terrapin

In the garage:

Some more excitement this weekend.

Will it blend? I'll find out in 2 weeks and all the internet heresay on Federal 595 RS-Rs will be put to rest...for me anyway. These are super wide for having 265 stamped on the side. They are wider than my 275 Falkens. If you're looking into these I'd go with the 255's to save a couple bucks and probably have a better fit. But for $675 shipped I just have to find out. Also I decided to do the right thing and replace my non-torn FCAB as suggested by the manual. As to how I did it...don't ask:

Last edited by Terrapin; Fri, Apr-27-2012 at 07:00:08 PM.
Old Fri, Apr-27-2012, 09:32:43 PM   #37
///M3Carbon
FBGM

United States

Not typically a fan of cars with bright colored wheels, but I think the color scheme on your car looks sweet!

-Connor

MY JOURNAL

TCKline D/A (650F/700R) ~ TCKline MonoBall RSM's ~ Vorshlag Camber Plates ~ TMS Rear ALCA's ~ Rogue Engineering Blue "Track" RTABS and FCABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyd View Post
Firstly I wouldn't let a female drive my car (I don't even let friends drive my car). Let alone a senior citizen. Not to mention I live alone away from family, and I'm not going to go to some retirement home and get some old person to drive my car. I don't even like old people.
Jump to top ///M3Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-29-2012, 02:28:48 AM   #38
Terrapin

In the garage:

^Thanks. Don't worry its not for every day.

Man what an ordeal. I got my tires mounted. They're wide enough to have an anti-stretch look. They should probably be on 9.5" or 10" wheels. But as long as they don't blow up I'm happy. After much soul searching I ended up taking the droop spacers out of my AST's. When taking the front shock out I managed to crush my pinkie between the brake dust shield and a floor jack that was there to catch the hub when I released the shock. Good thing I was wearing gloves. My friend has an impact wrench but only a pancake compressor so it took forever to crack the nut loose on top of the shock. Too much loctite . So it was 30 seconds of impact wrenching then 5 minutes of air compressing for about an hour. Then it was the same process again after I pressed the spacer out to put everything back together. Whew. But its all done...except for setting the ride height. Another 2 hours of fun. The lesson here is don't freak out about stuff you read on the forum.

And for future reference cause I know I'll need it...

FCAB: 44 ft-lbs
Front reinforcement plate: 43 ft-lbs
Front strut clamshell: 60 ft-lbs
Camber plate: 17 ft-lbs
Swaybar endlink to strut: 48 ft-lbs
Rear shock to hub: 74 ft-lbs
Rear shock mount: 17 ft-lbs

Last edited by Terrapin; Sun, Apr-29-2012 at 03:32:12 AM.
Old Mon, Apr-30-2012, 01:39:49 AM   #39
Terrapin

In the garage:

RIDE HEIGHT DONE. Heres what I did...

Leveling - I marked out where the 4 wheels sit in my garage. I used a bucket of water, some tubing, and a ruler to determine the difference in height between the 4 positions. The front left ended up being 5/8" lower than the front right! I used that information to place 12x12 floor tiles on those spots to get every position within 1/8"

Measuring - I put a piece of painters tape on each fender above the center point of the wheel so my measurements would be consistent. I also measured to the floor since that was easier than trying to find the same point in the center of the wheel each time. My starting points were really high so I had a job ahead of me. My target was 13.25" front and 13" rear. I know the common measurements are .5" difference front to rear but this is my car and that's how I'm going to do it for this track season.

Adjustment - Starting with the front left, I set the desired height. Each time I made a change I moved the car 10ft forward and back to allow the tires to settle and measured every corner again. I noticed that changing the height of one corner by .5" would move the opposite corner about .125" in the opposite direction. Using this rule of thumb to estimate where everything would end up and finally arrived to within 1/16" of my target heights all around.

Sway Bar - This is supposed to be neutral when the car is sitting flat. I disconnected both sides and found that the right side sat 1/8" higher than the left (measuring from the bottom of the end link to the control arm). Also the spring perches were different heights side to side. Since the car sits on the spring perches and the sway bar is attached to the car, I put the left end link 1.75" below the spring perch and the right end link 1.625" below. So when the car is flat, the sway bar should be neutral...in theory.

So all that's left now is an alignment, and to swap the pads and wheels and I'll be off!
Old Wed, May-09-2012, 03:36:34 AM   #40
Terrapin

In the garage:

The Longer Road.

I hoard my vacation hours. I hold them in a left handed white knuckle death grip almost as tight as my right hand...which holds my wallet shut. Last week I blew through almost 10% of those vacation hours in the final preparations for Virginia International Raceway. I was all in at that point. Thousands of dollars evaporated leaving a residue of new suspensions, wheels, and tires, with benefits that are at best…debatable...to any sane person. Over countless weekends, the lawn grew wild, the DVR overflowed, and that leaky pipe kept filling up the catch bucket. All the while I lay on my back in a pool of oil and brake fluid under the car, waiting for it to collapse the cheap Chinese jack stands and crush my skull, in much the same way all the repeated work and “fine tuning” had already crushed my spirit. But those few vacation hours would give me a head start on the 6 hour journey into a new under-steer-free world…if only I hadn’t dilly dallied. The NoVa rush hour was lurking, ready to sweep over me like a gulf state hurricane. And then it hit me with a FEMA career ending blow. Only now, the storm was enhanced by global warming. Nearly 40 miles of stop and go traffic was worse than anything I’d experienced in LA. The radio broke in with news that Adam Yauch had passed. This traffic jam would represent his funeral procession, giving me nearly enough time to listen to my entire Beastie Boys catalogue. And then it came time to put the nails in the coffin. Service Engine Soon.

Panic. Rage. This is all Virginia’s fault. Their awful city planning put me in this traffic jam that just blew up my car (probably)! If only I’d driven the M3 to work 2 more days this wouldn’t have happened at the worst possible time! Why the F did I leave my OBD-II reader at home? Why didn’t I leave sooner? What the hell is the point in driving 6 hours just to drive even more? If only I had a guardian angel that could magically fix the car so the past 4 months of my life weren’t wasted.

Fortunately, I do.

My fiancée found a shop in Fredericksburg that was open till 7pm. I had 30 minutes to get off the highway and find it so I took a step down off the ledge and focused. The skies cleared when I pulled in next to a smattering of E30’s and E34’s. Judgment time. O2 sensor threshold warning. Probation. Good enough for the journey to continue.

I drove through the night with the SES light staring me down like a TSA agent…benign and mostly useless but with the capability to snap and ruin the day at any moment. I pulled in to the paddock almost 3 hours behind schedule and began looking for the high ground. That’s right, this would be the first time I tried sleeping on the dirt and I wanted any rain water to run away from my tent and not through it. I found a spot far enough away from the double decker enclosed trailers and million dollar tow rigs so they wouldn’t call security and kick me out for lowering the property values. 2 beers and I was out.

A tech inspectors glance at my dashboard was all that was now standing between me and the track. I had a speech planned out as to why the SES light shouldn’t matter and apparently the universe agreed. There would be nothing to worry about until session 1…except that guy that set up his camera 2 feet in front of me at the drivers meeting and started taking a ton of pictures of something right behind me like a cracked out Hollywood starlet in a mini skirt was getting out of a Ferrari. What was the deal with that anyway?

No issues in session 1…except that with everything else going down, I completely forgot how to drive. I was all over the track and had no business being out there, holding everyone up. But by the end of session 2 I started to get my bearings and was passed by less than ALL of the freakin Miata’s. This journey is about to turn a page.

The SES light has just shut itself off like a crazy disgraced ex-senator’s mind bogglingly persistent presidential campaign! Now the real fun can begin. I’m getting my bearings with the brand new car setup and finally starting to do what my instructor tells me to. Consistency is rising and lap times are dropping like eurozone debt ratings. Holy smokes I’m having fun. This is why I go through hell every time. When it was all said and done I cut SEVEN SECONDS off my best lap time from my previous visit to VIR. There is still a long way to go and plenty of room for improvement. But once again the universe has shown me that once in a great while, the clouds will part and provide a rainbow.

Last edited by Terrapin; Wed, May-09-2012 at 03:41:55 AM.