|Tue, Sep-16-2008, 12:49:02 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Little things I do to keep my ///M in good shape
Call me obsessive compulsive, but in addition to scheduled maintenance, here are some of the small things I do everyday to keep my M in good condition. Some might think it's a hassle to do them, but it's part of my routine that I don't even think twice about doing them.
[BTW, I've put on a couple flame suits already]
1) NEVER rub on seat bolsters getting in / out of car. I always support myself on the door sill so that I can slide in/out without scraping the seat bolsters.
2) Always lift the trunk by the base, not at the lifting handles. I've heard too many stories of trunk lift handles breaking off. By design, the handle feels weak to me, so I always lift at the bottom edge of the trunk.
3) Never leave my headlights in "auto" position. There's nothing worse for xenon bulbs than constant on/off cylcing. I think I'm smart enough to know when I need light and when I need visibility to other drivers.
4) Always warm up engine after a night in the garage or day at work. It's a simple concept . . . let the parts inside the engine relubricate and slowly reach ambient operating temperature before I run the car. It only takes 6 minutes a day (3 minutes each warmup), and prolongs the life of the engine.
5) Avoid potholes / manhole covers / major bumps. Sure, our suspension is meant to take bumps and bruises, but the less I put them through, the longer my RTABs, FCABs, shocks, and alignment will last.
6) Always put up sunshades. I've actually made custom sunshades that slip into the side windows too. Everytime I park where there's sunlight (yes, even on overcast days), I put up the sunshades. People look at me funny, but I'll be the one with pristine seats. ANY UV I can keep out of the interior, I'll do it.
That's a lot of typing, but since I've always treated my cars this way, it's just a way of life for me. I have a 7 year old Acura commuter that looks almost new inside and out, BECAUSE I do these things everyday. Hope someone got a good tip or two out of this lecture . . .
2008 ISF, Smokey Granite Mica on Black
|good, or or or m, shape, things|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|WTB: 2003 and on M3 OEM Stock Muffler in good shape ASAP||Original786||Parts for Sale/Wanted||0||Wed, Jul-23-2008 03:11:59 PM|
|F/S 19" Hamann Pg2's good shape/good price!!||strictlybmz||Parts for Sale/Wanted||10||Fri, Jun-23-2006 01:11:10 AM|
|FS: stock M3 18's. in very good shape.||TomHpro||Parts for Sale/Wanted||6||Wed, Mar-15-2006 12:46:14 AM|
|Some GOOD Things about moving to LA...||Malibu101481||Off Topic||33||Thu, Sep-15-2005 03:28:06 AM|
|"BMW Ad shape of things to come"||Jum_Jum||E46 M3 (2001-2006)||6||Wed, Nov-27-2002 10:16:02 PM|