BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sun, Jan-10-2010, 04:58:15 AM   #21
yayorische

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The photos on the BM are not necessary accurate for your model.
It might be another model, since they usually are a good guide, but not exactly.
True, but I think that'd be a pretty big variation across models. I don't know, I need to find a proper diagram for my car.

Another question: Does anyone know how the Bentley Manual can list compression figures, when it makes a huge difference how long the extension is that you're using for the gauge? Without knowing how long their hose extension was, there's no way I could compare it. Longer hoses = more air = lower readings.
Jump to top yayorische is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 01:36:30 PM   #22
Tiago

What is the limit of the acceptable values for the leak-down test in our cars?

ESS VT2-550 / AEM WMI / Supersprint Race System / 3.91 Diff / Stoptech ST60 and ST40 / Bilstein PSS9 / UUC Sways
CLICK HERE FOR PICS OF MY CAR_______________"On the street, fun is better than speed"_______________
Jump to top Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 02:55:04 PM   #23
spd_euphoria

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
What is the limit of the acceptable values for the leak-down test in our cars?
I don't think BMW has published specs for leakdown, but I do know that one FI vendor considers anything above 10% to be bad.
Jump to top spd_euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-12-2010, 05:35:17 PM   #24
Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd_euphoria View Post
I don't think BMW has published specs for leakdown, but I do know that one FI vendor considers anything above 10% to be bad.
Thanks. I read a old post saing that max acceptable 10% (very good engine at 5-8%) with a max tolerance of 5% between each one (very good condition if below 3%).

ESS VT2-550 / AEM WMI / Supersprint Race System / 3.91 Diff / Stoptech ST60 and ST40 / Bilstein PSS9 / UUC Sways
CLICK HERE FOR PICS OF MY CAR_______________"On the street, fun is better than speed"_______________
Jump to top Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 04:37:56 AM   #25
RaceMX-M3
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayorische View Post
True, but I think that'd be a pretty big variation across models. I don't know, I need to find a proper diagram for my car.

Another question: Does anyone know how the Bentley Manual can list compression figures, when it makes a huge difference how long the extension is that you're using for the gauge? Without knowing how long their hose extension was, there's no way I could compare it. Longer hoses = more air = lower readings.
The Bentley manual does not specify what gauge was used, although I would assume the figures are based on some kind of standard gauge that has been calibrated to insure accuracy. If you check the the pics in the OP you will notice the gauge they're using doesn't have a hose, which is probably ideal.

FWIW here's some general info referenced in the manual regarding tools..

Jump to top RaceMX-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-13-2010, 04:48:41 AM   #26
RaceMX-M3
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayorische View Post
Hello doots.

First off I'd like to say props to the OP for posting up those pages of the Bentley Manual. Very helpful.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on how to run a compression test lately and came across this thread, and so far it's the most comprehensive.

I have two questions, hopefully someone can shed some light.

1) I drive a 2003 ZHP, and I'm wondering why is it that in my control unit box, there is a different number of relays than the BM pic?

Pretty sure I'm missing this one here:

Also, would anyone happen to know where I can find a diagram of exactly which relay is what? I plan on pulling the DME Main Relay and the Fuel Pump Relay to perform this test.

2) Has anyone figured out whether or not pushing down on the e-throttle will open the throttle body if the engine is NOT fully operational, and just being cranked? I've been trying to find this out for a week and have come to no conclusion. In the end I think I might just take off the intake boot, put the car on contact, lay a brick on the throttle and go take a look if it's opening. Putting the car on contact should make all electronics fully operational, but I don't know whether or not this'll affect the throttle plate.
The Bentley manual covers all E46 3 series cars, including the M3. Unfortunately many of the pics (including the ones posted) illustrate standard 3 series (non-M) cars and as Roberto mentioned will vary.
Jump to top RaceMX-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-14-2010, 02:05:46 AM   #27
yayorische

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
The Bentley manual covers all E46 3 series cars, including the M3. Unfortunately many of the pics (including the ones posted) illustrate standard 3 series (non-M) cars and as Roberto mentioned will vary.
Mine is a non-M. I believe that photo I posted might be an automatic.

Did some more research and math, and it seems that using a small hose (28 cm extension) should have virtually no effect on the readings, so it's not a big deal. On a 150 PSI test, you could expect a difference of ~0.28 PSI for a 15 cm extension vs. a 28 cm extension.

Now my issue is exactly how I am going to keep the throttle body open. I can't figure this out. I unhooked my intake boot from the filter and asked a friend to crank the car with her foot on the throttle and off. Does the exact same thing in both situations, never went even close to WOT. You guys with S54s are easy as shown in the beginning of this thread. I'm not sure if mine has such a spring which I can hold open.
Jump to top yayorische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-19-2010, 05:38:15 PM   #28
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Excellent DIY! Thanks Bro for clearing up some thoughts i had about it. Cheers.
EURO 04 M3 Current Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / Black Roundels / ///MFEST Badges / Depo Corners / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-27-2010, 10:33:18 PM   #29
bzsbimmer

In the garage:

South Korea

I just followed this DIY and it helped out immensely!
I'll have to take a picture of the relay I removed since the picture isn't really clear (maybe just for me) since I have SMG.

The Bremi coils are a pain to remove but with a large screwdriver as horizontal bar, it worked like a charm. The Bosch coils don't click like the Bremi's. When you try to lift the handle, the connector doesn't always break free.

I didn't force the linkage open. I just held the gas pedal down when turning the engine over. No sense in forcing the linkage open if you're going to be in the drivers seat anyway.

It was an eye opener for me. I only had 2 chrome nuts holding down the cover. The other 4 were missing. I was also missing a bolt from one of the wire loom brackets inside the cover. Whomever did the last valve job was sloppy.

Thanks RaceMX!
Old Thu, May-27-2010, 11:05:13 PM   #30
bzsbimmer

In the garage:

South Korea

Oh and I forgot, I have the lit up gear on my dash... I'm guessing it will go away when I drive the car a couple of miles?