BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 02:38:36 AM   #21
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: Installing AGK Quickshifter - What Else Should I Do While I'm at It? What Small

Yeah don't order any from the dealer - you should have a couple on the stock selector rod, and if I remember right, the new selector joint doesn't require any spacers.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 02:39:21 AM   #22
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Installing AGK Quickshifter - What Else Should I Do While I'm at It? What Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Yeah don't order any from the dealer - you should have a couple on the stock selector rod, and if I remember right, the new selector joint doesn't require any spacers.

Correct. The new version have an o-ring on each side of the joint built into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 06:36:31 PM   #23
E30toF30

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Correct. The new version have an o-ring on each side of the joint built into it.

Damn.

My selector rod does not have the yellow washers. Guess I'll go pick a couple up.

On another note, I'm at the point where I am needing to remove the carrier.

Do I have to remove the selector rod in order to remove the carrier?

Looking at the diagram at realoem, I can't at tell.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0375

I'm following the steps in the the mad Russian auto solutions diy where they do remove the selector rod, then remove the carrier. But are they removing the selector rod first simply because they are changing the selector rod as well? Or can I simply skip the step of removing the selector rod and go straight to unclipping the carrier?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Jump to top E30toF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 07:41:19 PM   #24
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

The newer OE selector rod joint (attached to the trans) has a black o-ring on the sides around the hole where the selector rod or pin goes in.

You have to remove the shifter rod first to get the shifter carrier out. Then you can remove the carrier bushing since you don't need it.

Old Tue, Feb-21-2017, 08:27:11 AM   #25
E30toF30

Canada

Quote:
The newer OE selector rod joint (attached to the trans) has a black o-ring on the sides around the hole where the selector rod or pin goes in.

You have to remove the shifter rod first to get the shifter carrier out. Then you can remove the carrier bushing since you don't need it.

How can I tell if I have an older selector rod or newer one? Mine doesn't appear to have very any o ring/spacers at all (the current shift lever is the e60 ssk... Came with the car) .

Anyway, I've now removed the carrier and am ready to start installing everything again. Will I need 4 of these yellow spacers? One into the selector rod before before pushing the pin through, then one on the other side before installing the circlip back? On both the lever side and the tranny (other) side?

Or can I get away with just adding 2 spacers on the shift lever side? I really don't want to remove the entire selector rod. The lever side was easy to access. But the tranny side is much more difficult to get to. I can imagine getting the circlip back on property on the tranny side will be a major *****.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 01:55:11 AM   #26
E30toF30

Canada

Hey Guys,

So i was able to get the shifter installed. However there are a couple things.

First of all, with regards to the yellow washers.
I was able to get two installed on the shifter side of the selector rod. One on each side, and then the clip. Nice a tight fit. However, on the trans joint side of the selector rod, there was no way in hell to even fit one yellow washer, let alone one on each side. I took a look the piece that the selector ride slides into on the tranny side and it does look like there are some black washers built into it. Does this mean I don't need to use the yellow washers on this side?

Second, getting everything connected and the shifter mounted, i came across this issue pictured below. Clearly something isnt right. Can anyone tell me what they think might cause this shifter to sit uncentered? It is actually sitting in neutral in the picture below....not 5th or 6th gear Could the selector rod be flipped the wrong way around or something? I made an effort to make sure not to mix up the two sides but it could have happened I guess....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8476d304-de94-45aa-b62f-03e0be2283ad.jpg (96.3 KB, 19 views)
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 02:17:56 AM   #27
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

You just lean to the right like every other guy. Lol

Are you sure the shifter base plate is centered?

Is the selector rod in backwards? The bend is supposed to clear the guibo.

Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 02:33:50 AM   #28
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Yeah that does not look correct, mine is pretty close to straight. Make sure selector rod is on driver's side of the car, as bigjae mentioned with the bend in the right place.

Loosen up the bolts, set the transmission in neutral and center the plate and shifter, tighten them up, run through gears. You might need to repeat a couple times to get everything centered correctly.
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 02:36:49 AM   #29
E30toF30

Canada

hhahaha yeah i should just lean to the right lol...

The shifter plate is centered as far as I can tell. I mean, the carriage bolts can only go into those specific slots, which decide exactly where the shifter plate has to bolt to. I've tightened them down fairly well.

One thing I can thing of that might cause the shifter to sit like that in neutral might be that the selector rod is rotated slightly so that the pins are facing downward a little bit? This would then cause the lever to also lean in that same direction?

Is there something that could have happened to the trans joint side that rotated the coupler, causing it to sit slightly rotated?

This is pretty annoying haha

Quote:
You just lean to the right like every other guy. Lol

Are you sure the shifter base plate is centered?

Is the selector rod in backwards? The bend is supposed to clear the guibo.

Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 02:38:28 AM   #30
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Did you do this with the transmission in place or did you drop the bushings and drop it a bit?