BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 03:10:18 AM   #1
E30toF30

Canada

Default Installing AGK Quickshifter - What Else Should I Do While I'm at It? What Small Par

Hey guys,

I picked up a used AKG stage 2 quickshifter on the forums.

All I received was the mounting plate/lever setup and the shift knob.

I'll be installing it with the oem selector rod as I've read mixed reviews on whether a dssr makes much of a difference.

Anyway, while I'm at it, I'm going to do the motor and tranny mount bushings.

Besides that, are there any other bushings or parts I should replace? I see AKG also offers delrin oval shifter housing bushings for the e46m. Is that something I should do also? Anything else recommended?

Lastly, what other small pieces like clips and stuff do I need for the install to the oem selector rod? Also what size nuts and bolts do I need for the mounting plate? Wwashers? Round or split? Any other little parts needed? I didn't receive any additional parts so not sure what the original package included.

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by E30toF30; Sun, Jan-08-2017 at 03:15:45 AM.
Jump to top E30toF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 04:22:23 AM   #2
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: Installing AGK Quickshifter - What Else Should I Do While I'm at It? What Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Hey guys,

I picked up a used AKG stage 2 quickshifter on the forums.

All I received was the mounting plate/lever setup and the shift knob.

I'll be installing it with the oem selector rod as I've read mixed reviews on whether a dssr makes much of a difference.

Anyway, while I'm at it, I'm going to do the motor and tranny mount bushings.

Besides that, are there any other bushings or parts I should replace? I see AKG also offers delrin oval shifter housing bushings for the e46m. Is that something I should do also? Anything else recommended?

Lastly, what other small pieces like clips and stuff do I need for the install to the oem selector rod? Also what size nuts and bolts do I need for the mounting plate? Wwashers? Round or split? Any other little parts needed? I didn't receive any additional parts so not sure what the original package included.

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
You won't need the delrin oval shifter bushings because of the way the shifter mounts up. I got a new selector rod as the design was slightly updated, but not sure if it made any difference. You can probably reuse the old clips. If the shifter didn't come with the mounting bolts, you'll need to find some square head bolts that fit it with some matching lock nuts for underneath. Let me know if you need a picture of the bolts and I'll snap one.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 05:54:36 AM   #3
E30toF30

Canada

Default Re: Installing AGK Quickshifter - What Else Should I Do While I'm at It? What Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
You won't need the delrin oval shifter bushings because of the way the shifter mounts up. I got a new selector rod as the design was slightly updated, but not sure if it made any difference. You can probably reuse the old clips. If the shifter didn't come with the mounting bolts, you'll need to find some square head bolts that fit it with some matching lock nuts for underneath. Let me know if you need a picture of the bolts and I'll snap one.
Thanks for the quick response.

So I take it the motor and tranny bushings, in your opinion, might be the only other items I should do while I'm at it?

Good to know the clips should be re-usable.
Anyone happen to know the part numbers for the parts I will need to re-use so I can know exactly what I'm going to be taking apart and keeping?

Also, any details on what size/length bolts I'll need? washers or not? locking nuts or standard nuts?

Thanks!
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 06:14:31 AM   #4
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Take a look here, the AKG shifter only connects to the selector rod, so disregard everything else:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0375

Motor/Trans I would go stiff as possible, and match the subframe/diff bushings accordingly.

Here's a pic of the top, the square headed bolts go through the bottom - there's three square holes in the body that the bolts will fit through.

Let me know if you need anything else!
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 06:46:10 AM   #5
E30toF30

Canada

Thanks for the pic!

I watched this video on Youtube that walks through a SSK install on an E36 M3. Would the DIY for the E46 be pretty much identical? Would I need to remove ALL those parts that this DIY removes?

I haven't done the diff mount set either but already have a set of AKG 95A sitting there I was planning on using. The FCABS are also AKG 95A bushings. The RTAB's I have the powerflex ones (http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensio...-Kit-RTAB.html), simply because this is what I ended up getting.
I haven't done the subframe ones but I'm hoping to find a good deal on some AKG ones (i had a set of the 95A ones before but sold them after my last E46M was totalled. Didn't anticipate buying another E46M).

Based on what I currently already have installed, should I match it up with the 95A Subframe bushings? Or should I go with the 75A (red) ones instead?
As for the motor and tranny mount bushings, AKG appears to only have the red 75D hardness combo for these so I was going to go that route.

Is my car going to be all over the place with bushings of different hardness all over the car? haha...

Quote:
Take a look here, the AKG shifter only connects to the selector rod, so disregard everything else:

Motor/Trans I would go stiff as possible, and match the subframe/diff bushings accordingly.

Here's a pic of the top, the square headed bolts go through the bottom - there's three square holes in the body that the bolts will fit through.

Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 02:23:30 AM   #6
E30toF30

Canada

Hey,

DO you mind snapping some pictures of what these square headed bolts look like for mounting the shifter?

I've emailed AKG a few days ago but have not gotten a response yet. Will email them again but thought I might reach out this way too.

Thanks!

Quote:

Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 02:58:10 AM   #7
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Hey,

DO you mind snapping some pictures of what these square headed bolts look like for mounting the shifter?

I've emailed AKG a few days ago but have not gotten a response yet. Will email them again but thought I might reach out this way too.

Thanks!
Hey bud, the shifter is installed and I don't wanna jack the car up, but the bolts look like this - what you'll need is one big enough to fit the three square holes in the transmission tunnel around the shifter where the AKG mounts to. This just makes it easier to mount it yourself from up above. If you got a helper you can use any bolt head with a lock nut big enough to fit through the shifter mounting cutouts.

I believe it's called a cariage head bolt:
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:01:22 AM   #8
E30toF30

Canada

Quote:
Hey bud, the shifter is installed and I don't wanna jack the car up, but the bolts look like this - what you'll need is one big enough to fit the three square holes in the transmission tunnel around the shifter where the AKG mounts to. This just makes it easier to mount it yourself from up above. If you got a helper you can use any bolt head with a lock nut big enough to fit through the shifter mounting cutouts.

I believe it's called a cariage head bolt:

Oh ok. So a standard lock nut and bolt is sufficient if I have a helper to either in the car or under the car. But the square bolt head prevents the bolt from spinning so I could do it as a one man show.

Got it. Thanks! I'll see if I can find any of these at the hardware store/Home Depot.

Thanks!
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 02:55:11 AM   #9
E30toF30

Canada

Hey Guys,

So i was able to get the shifter installed. However there are a couple things.

First of all, with regards to the yellow washers.
I was able to get two installed on the shifter side of the selector rod. One on each side, and then the clip. Nice a tight fit. However, on the trans joint side of the selector rod, there was no way in hell to even fit one yellow washer, let alone one on each side. I took a look the piece that the selector ride slides into on the tranny side and it does look like there are some black washers built into it. Does this mean I don't need to use the yellow washers on this side?

Second, getting everything connected and the shifter mounted, i came across this issue pictured below. Clearly something isnt right. Can anyone tell me what they think might cause this shifter to sit uncentered? It is actually sitting in neutral in the picture below....not 5th or 6th gear Could the selector rod be flipped the wrong way around or something? I made an effort to make sure not to mix up the two sides but it could have happened I guess....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8476d304-de94-45aa-b62f-03e0be2283ad.jpg (96.3 KB, 19 views)
Old Sun, Jan-08-2017, 03:44:06 PM   #10
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

If you are getting 75D for the engine/trans - go with the same for the subframe and diff.

To install the shifter - pop off the shift knob and boot from up top, from the bottom, release the b1tch clip and the rod selector, remove the whole assembly out of the car, put the new one in, center everything (it helps to have somebody sit inside the car while you check everything from the bottom) and bolt it up. You might want to call AKG and see if they can ship you just the hardware, I don't know if you'll be able to find those exact bolts at a hardware store. There's three square holes in the chassis that the bolt head sits in, letting you bolt it up from inside the car without holding the bolt head from down below. Look at the AKG instructions on the site to reuse the old shift boot to seal the new one.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Sun, Jan-08-2017 at 08:29:11 PM.