BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 02:49:17 AM   #11
E30toF30

Canada

Default Re: Installing AGK Quickshifter - What Else Should I Do While I'm at It? What Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
10 cent plastic washers.

Yes...you can spend $125 for a DSSR to fix a problem that a 10 cent washer can fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So something like this? Maybe get a few thinner ones and stack a couple of them up if needed?

Jump to top E30toF30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 02:58:10 AM   #12
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: Installing AGK Quickshifter - What Else Should I Do While I'm at It? What Small

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Hey,

DO you mind snapping some pictures of what these square headed bolts look like for mounting the shifter?

I've emailed AKG a few days ago but have not gotten a response yet. Will email them again but thought I might reach out this way too.

Thanks!
Hey bud, the shifter is installed and I don't wanna jack the car up, but the bolts look like this - what you'll need is one big enough to fit the three square holes in the transmission tunnel around the shifter where the AKG mounts to. This just makes it easier to mount it yourself from up above. If you got a helper you can use any bolt head with a lock nut big enough to fit through the shifter mounting cutouts.

I believe it's called a cariage head bolt:
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 02:59:09 AM   #13
E30toF30

Canada

Just getting ready to do this install.
I've removed the bottom covers off the car and went out to grab an E14 socket to remove the midpipe.

I'm looking at some of the DIY's on MadRussian. They have 3 DIY's for different SSK's (Autosolution, Rogue, UUC). Too bad not a specific one for AKG.

Any of these should be good enough for me to follow along correct? Or is one better than the other for me to follow? There seem to be a lot of additional parts mentioned in these DIY's (mainly the Carriers). Since I'm not changing my carrier, I just skip this section right? Or do I need to remove my carrier in order to install my SSK/Shift lever?

So far i've been following the Autosolutions DIY. And one of the steps is to remove the tranny brace. Looks like this would be the perfect time to replace the OEM tranny bushings with my AKG 75D ones right? lol

Thanks all!
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:00:20 AM   #14
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

And here's your plastic washer part # if you aren't sure which ones to get:
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:01:22 AM   #15
E30toF30

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Hey bud, the shifter is installed and I don't wanna jack the car up, but the bolts look like this - what you'll need is one big enough to fit the three square holes in the transmission tunnel around the shifter where the AKG mounts to. This just makes it easier to mount it yourself from up above. If you got a helper you can use any bolt head with a lock nut big enough to fit through the shifter mounting cutouts.

I believe it's called a cariage head bolt:

Oh ok. So a standard lock nut and bolt is sufficient if I have a helper to either in the car or under the car. But the square bolt head prevents the bolt from spinning so I could do it as a one man show.

Got it. Thanks! I'll see if I can find any of these at the hardware store/Home Depot.

Thanks!
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:02:27 AM   #16
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Just getting ready to do this install.
I've removed the bottom covers off the car and went out to grab an E14 socket to remove the midpipe.

I'm looking at some of the DIY's on MadRussian. They have 3 DIY's for different SSK's (Autosolution, Rogue, UUC). Too bad not a specific one for AKG.

Any of these should be good enough for me to follow along correct? Or is one better than the other for me to follow? There seem to be a lot of additional parts mentioned in these DIY's (mainly the Carriers). Since I'm not changing my carrier, I just skip this section right? Or do I need to remove my carrier in order to install my SSK/Shift lever?

So far i've been following the Autosolutions DIY. And one of the steps is to remove the tranny brace. Looks like this would be the perfect time to replace the OEM tranny bushings with my AKG 75D ones right? lol

Thanks all!
Yeah you'll remove the carrier - you won't use that at all with the AKG shifter. The AKG just mounts to the selector rod which mounts to the gearshift rod joint, everything else get rid of.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:05:14 AM   #17
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Here's the diagram so you can visualize it.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0375
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:06:25 AM   #18
E30toF30

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Yeah you'll remove the carrier - you won't use that at all with the AKG shifter. The AKG just mounts to the selector rod which mounts to the gearshift rod joint, everything else get rid of.
Oh damn. I dont even use a carrier with my shifter? interesting. Good thing I checked!

Thanks for the link on the washer! I'll probably just end up swinging by the dealer to pick up a couple....they will probably rape me and charge $1 each or something stupid.

Awesome support. Much appreciated!
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:08:10 AM   #19
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

NP, shoot me a PM if you got any more questions and I'll try to help out.

BTW - I called up AKG today to order some dssr pins, and it went straight to VM stating that they had a family emergency and will be a little bit slower to respond and ship.
Old Thu, Feb-16-2017, 03:36:13 AM   #20
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
So something like this? Maybe get a few thinner ones and stack a couple of them up if needed?

Just something pretty thin. A thin wave washer might work but I just use the OE yellow plastic washers. Typically, it's just 1 on each side of the shifter rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote