BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 03:53:06 AM   #1
hdsr09

In the garage:

Default Knocking Noise from car at when accelerating from a stop...

Hey guys. I just noticed that my car makes this horrible knocking sound, "tock tock tock", something like that during the first couple seconds that I get on the gas from a dead stop. If I ease on the gas it won't do it, but if I give the gas even a little juice I can hear AND feel the knocking type noise from my M3. It goes away after the first couple seconds of driving from a stop, and does NOT make itself known at any time after I start driving except from a complete stop. Even when I start to drive from a slow roll and get on the gas it won't do the noise. Only time it makes itself known is when i am in 1st gear and intially start to go from a dead stop... I am THOROUGHLY confused by this noise. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere under my car, and I can "feel" the knocking noise through my shift knob...

IT SOUNDS HORRIBLE. Is it my diff?

Anyone else experienced this? HELP! :nixweiss:

My brain wasn't working the day I sold my baby
Jump to top hdsr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 04:16:18 AM   #2
ThatOneGuy
In the left lane, flashing to pass.

Germany

My first thought was, 'oh sh*t, he's thrown a rod', but that wouldn't go away. So, broken motor mount maybe. U-joints failing? Sounds like something is getting twisted into hitting something else under torque from dead stop.

Anyone else wanna play our guessing game?
Jump to top ThatOneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 05:15:49 AM   #3
nukakzeti
WHAT IT DO BITCHES!

United States

Default i have the same problem

i have an 01 and i have the same exact problem. i took it to the dealer they checked everything possible and no answer. all the bushings are good, all the mounts are good, but i feel like its coming from the rear so maybe its the axel.
Jump to top nukakzeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 06:32:52 AM   #4
hdsr09

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukakzeti
i have an 01 and i have the same exact problem. i took it to the dealer they checked everything possible and no answer. all the bushings are good, all the mounts are good, but i feel like its coming from the rear so maybe its the axel.
I was thinking it is the diff maybe or an axle? I am clueless, as I just replaced the mounts for the tranny with a UUC Tranny mount kit last year, so it ain't the tranny mounts. THe car doesn't make the sound at any other time except when I give it a good amount of gas from a dead stop, so it doesn't seem to be a motor mount problem either, as that would knock all the time once you nail the throttle... hmmm.... Any OG peeps here have a thought about it?

My brain wasn't working the day I sold my baby
Jump to top hdsr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 03:22:27 PM   #5
DANNO

Default Ur Noise

I Ha D That Noise And It Also Did It When Shifting Between Gears. It Turned Out To Be That The Bolts Holding My Diff Fell Out Completely.
Jump to top DANNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 03:35:17 PM   #6
fabio
mmm -- mmm good

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsr09
I was thinking it is the diff maybe or an axle? I am clueless, as I just replaced the mounts for the tranny with a UUC Tranny mount kit last year, so it ain't the tranny mounts. THe car doesn't make the sound at any other time except when I give it a good amount of gas from a dead stop, so it doesn't seem to be a motor mount problem either, as that would knock all the time once you nail the throttle... hmmm.... Any OG peeps here have a thought about it?
I was gonna say possibly your tranny mounts but you answered that question.

Not to compare the cars but i has a 1989 Trans Am GTA a few years ago and i had the same exact problem you are describing. From a stop the sound would be horrible. I thought my car was about to fall apart. If i gave very minimal gas it wouldn't make the sound but with enough gas and when it shifted it would sound scary. After bringing it to the mechanic and having him check it out for about 2 minutes he saw that it was a tranny mount. He basically knew that was the problem before even looking at it. I thought it was going to be a problem running me in the thousands to fix but the bill was about $50 IIRC.

You never know, even tho your tranny mounts are new they can still be the problem. Check them very closely. Good luck!

SOLD:
STEEL GREY M3

Mods: V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser, Radenergie R10's

Link To Pics: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=173248
Jump to top fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 05:34:48 PM   #7
virsipe

I've got the exact same problem on my 2004. From a start in 1st gear especially when I pull up in my driveway and have to get over the little curb at the sidewalk. It also happens most when I push down on the clutch after the driveline has been put under torque. It seems to go, knock, knock, knock, knock and it is heard in the rear in addition to the shifter.

I have it at the dealer right now as we speak to look at this. I think it is something to do with the diff.

A prior inspection at a different dealer found nothing and said the sound they found was a normal sound from all of the M3/M5 diffs. I was not convinced, which is why I brought it to another dealer.

If I get a solution I will let you know.
Jump to top virsipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 05:36:59 PM   #8
amstel78
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself

Australia

What kind of gas are you running?
Jump to top amstel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 05:49:41 PM   #9
///Bruce
///BRUCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78
What kind of gas are you running?

I was thinking along the same lines as either a bad (or wrong) batch of gas OR there's something going on with one of the knock sensors.
Old Thu, Mar-02-2006, 05:52:33 PM   #10
PatrickJr

Have them change the oil in your diff. Some of the m's came with diff oil that was to thin so they are noisey. I had mine changed and it stopped. I couldn't feel it in the shifter though...
PK

OEM MODS: Engine Head Machine Plug, Both Door Window Seals, Driver Seat Motor, Driver Seat Belt Tensioner, Sun Roof, what else can go wrong once you're out of warranty!!!

sig by Grimm
Jump to top PatrickJr is offline   Reply With Quote