BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Car Care and Detailing
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Car Care and Detailing Place to discuss keeping your M looking its best.

Closed Thread

Old Mon, Aug-20-2007, 04:11:23 PM   #1
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Leatherique DIY

I'm going to add pics to this next time I do my car, but for now it's going to have to just be a verbal description.

Do this project on a weekend or other time in which you can be without the car for 26 hour block. You can do it in less, but allowing time for the product to fully saturate creates far better results

1. Prep:

Dry out 2 sponges and leave your car parked in the sun for a couple of hours with the windows up. Purchase a spray bottle.

We are drying out the sponge so that only the rejuvenator will be absorbed into it. We are leaving the car in the sun to heat up the leather, thereby opening its pores so that the rejuvenator will be more readily absorbed.

2. Cleaning up the big pieces:
Vacuum the seats, ebrake boot, shift boot, anything, everything. Might as well do the carpet for the full clean interior look

The goal here is to get all of the big pieces of dirt off of the leather surfaces that we are going to be cleaning and conditioning

3. Optional Step: Block off areas you don't get cleaning substances on

I don't personally do this step, but many people seem to. Use towels, rags, etc to block off any of the areas that you don't want to clean. E.g. cover the center console, seatbelt buckles, etc.

I personally do not do this step as, in my experience, the cleaner product actually makes all of them look pretty good as well. That said, you should use care not to get any of either product into any of the electronics

4. Rejuvenator Application

For this step I wear rubber gloves.

The first order of business is to take your dried up sponge and make it moist with rejuvenator (which is the brown bottle). This can take some patience as dry sponges are not as absorptive as you might like. Take your time and make the entire sponge soft and full of product.

Begin application. The goal here is to get as much product as possible into the leather. After each section of seat looks to be fully applied, put the sponge down (where it won't pick up rocks, etc) and massage the rejuvenator into the seat by hand. To make the leather as soft as possible, you want the rejuvinator to go through all of the leather, not just the surface layer. Take your time and don't be scared to use a lot, it all comes off later.

Repeat around the entire car. Don't forget that the following are leather:
Front and rear seats
center parts of door panels
center of rear side panels
steering wheel
ebrake boot
shift boot

Just for reference, here is my car when fully applied:

5. ALLOW THE CAR TO SIT

Windows up!

Ideally, let the car sit for 24 hours. The more of that time that is in the sun, the better. You can start the next step in as little as 4 hours, but longer is better and you will be glad if you wait the full 24. Softer, smoother leather (that stays that way for longer) is the result

6. Cleanup

When you open the car again, all of the leather is going to be sticky/tacky and not look so hot. Don't worry, this is normal .

We will need the following items:
Second dry sponge (which you should now saturate with Pristine Clean
spray bottle full of pristine clean
Drying towel (I use a micro-fiber drying towel, but I don't see any reason a beach or bath towel wouldn't work fine here)

The goal here is simply to get all of the Rejuvenator off. Wherever there is rejuv, spray with the bottle or wipe with the sponge, and then dry with the towel.

Note: Do not just wipe off the rejuv. You must use the pristine clean to take it off.

Make sure you get all the cracks and crevices that the rejuvenator may have spread to, as anywhere you miss is going to stay tacky and attract dirt.

I have personally found that it cleans the vinyl pretty well too, so I don't particularly care if the pristine clean gets where I didn't intend for it to go. I just make sure I wipe it all up when done

7. Air Out

This step probably isn't necessary, but I like to put the windows down and let the car air out for a bit. I don't really have any reason for doing this other than I don't really like that much chemical spells in my car, even when they smell as good as this

Long term:

You should only have to do the Rejuvenator twice a year, and that's with pretty regular car use. Besides that, when cleaning the interior (which I do about every month or 2), you can just use the pristine clean. When doing that you don't need to be quite as careful as after using the rejuv, as nothing tacky is left behind-- you're just cleaning up the big pieces. Still vacuum first, though.

edit: Results, my car at 70,000 miles:

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Tue, Apr-22-2008 at 01:10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Aug-20-2007, 04:38:03 PM   #2
Loki_cmr
The Architect

United States

Niiiiiiice. I can't wait to try this.

Thanks
Old Mon, Aug-20-2007, 04:39:07 PM   #3
backdoc

United States

Thanks Ian. I just got mine today and look forward to the next sunny weekend!
Old Mon, Aug-20-2007, 05:30:20 PM   #4
tom @ eas
M3Forum Sponsor

Great DIY, thanks for the hard work.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old Mon, Aug-20-2007, 06:53:47 PM   #5
lbrsupra

Mexico

Nice! Thanx again!
Old Mon, Aug-20-2007, 08:26:20 PM   #6
///Nick
My girfriend hates this site

United States

thanks for the cleaner Ian...super deal.

Current: 98 Honda Civic...
Previous: 98 Titanium Silver/Dove E36 M3 5sp
Previous: 01 Imola Red/Black Nappa E46 M3 6sp
Old Mon, Aug-20-2007, 08:52:51 PM   #7
m3j0n
Banned

United States

GREAT DIY! thanks for everything! now i only need my package to arrive
Old Tue, Aug-21-2007, 03:29:52 AM   #8
ngkm

Ian,

You're Awesome....
Old Tue, Aug-21-2007, 11:23:56 PM   #9
Kendrick07

South Korea

Excellent work. Thanks for everything.

16 M4 Coupe DCT - Alpine White/Black Full
09 Lexus GS350 - Sapphire Pearl/Black
04 M3 Coupe SMG - Jet Black/Black (sold)

Bikes
12 Honda CBR 1000RR - Black
09 Honda CBR 1000RR - White (sold)
06 Honda CBR 1000RR - Black (sold)
05 Honda CBR 600RR - Black (sold)
Old Tue, Aug-21-2007, 11:43:42 PM   #10
Brandon318

United States

I have to add that you must avoid, at all costs, getting the RO or PC on the seatbelt receptacle, as it WILL foul it and trigger the airbag light. Experience speaks.

Closed Thread