BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 04:55:21 PM   #1
supalicious

Default How long/far do you have to drive to charge battery?

Guys,

I only drive my car once a week and lately it's been getting difficult for the car to start up on the initial crank.
How long or how far do i have to drive the car before the battery starts to get charged up?

I'm guessing that short trips around the block isn't going to sufficient to keep the battery charged.

Thanks for the input!
Jump to top supalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 05:39:44 PM   #2
da3bous
Restricted

In the garage:

Faroe Islands

30 minutes is a good rule of thumb.....gives the alternator enough time to recharge the battery....plus it recharges your key so you don't get screwed with your keyless entry next time either
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 05:43:57 PM   #3
Ghozt
Phuckface!!!!!

Reputation: 0 Ghozt is a glorious beacon of lightGhozt is a glorious beacon of light

United States

Question related to OP's question..

I was told by a friendly mechanic that a simple start-up of a car will give a battery a nice instantaneous recharge.. In example, you've noticed that you left lights on inside your car for a good 6 hours or so... Would a start-up along with a 3-5min running of the engine revive most of the lost charge, or is that false? I thought that once the alt kicks in, it gives the battery back a good amount of lost charge...?? Without having to go drive the car for 30 mins or let it run for 30 mins or whatever...
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 05:45:06 PM   #4
Jasoncor
Grumpy Young Man

In the garage:

United States

I drove for an hour, and that was good
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 05:47:46 PM   #5
Challenger 800
Married to Siberiankim

United States

weird, my battery blew the fuk up yesterday. I was heading off to the beach when I went to crank it and KABOOM , the kids were like DAD FIX IT !!!!!! WE WANT TO GO SNORKLING !!!!!

Uhh STFU kids ok, thanks

Love My Kimmy
Jump to top Challenger 800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 06:04:11 PM   #6
Dan I Am
Steep and Deep

In the garage:

Antarctica

You should keep a low amp charger on it during the week.
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 06:06:42 PM   #7
da3bous
Restricted

In the garage:

Faroe Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostM3JP View Post
Question related to OP's question..

I was told by a friendly mechanic that a simple start-up of a car will give a battery a nice instantaneous recharge.. In example, you've noticed that you left lights on inside your car for a good 6 hours or so... Would a start-up along with a 3-5min running of the engine revive most of the lost charge, or is that false? I thought that once the alt kicks in, it gives the battery back a good amount of lost charge...?? Without having to go drive the car for 30 mins or let it run for 30 mins or whatever...
Have you ever had a dead battery and then after charging or jumping got it to crank and then shut it off after 10 minutes it was fine later??? I think that should answer your question.
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 06:07:57 PM   #8
Dan I Am
Steep and Deep

In the garage:

Antarctica

http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-SuperS..._tdp_sv_edpp_i
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 06:11:17 PM   #9
Ghozt
Phuckface!!!!!

Reputation: 0 Ghozt is a glorious beacon of lightGhozt is a glorious beacon of light

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by da3bous View Post
Have you ever had a dead battery and then after charging or jumping got it to crank and then shut it off after 10 minutes it was fine later??? I think that should answer your question.
I'm not sure

I shoulda been more clear but I didn't mean a dead battery. I meant you notice your lights have been on so you do a quick turn-over, let the car run for a few mins, and shut it back off... Will that provide the battery with a "quick re-charge" or is that question better suited for mythbusters???

Basically, my mechanic advised it as a battery draining prevention tip.. If you notice lights have been on in your car for x amount of time, and you simply turn them off, your battery could need a jump start should you attempt to start it the next morning. Instead, a quick start-up followed by allowing the engine to run for 3-5 mins will allow for a quick re-charge, and the car should be fine the next morning...???
Old Tue, Apr-01-2008, 06:15:42 PM   #10
da3bous
Restricted

In the garage:

Faroe Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostM3JP View Post
I'm not sure

I shoulda been more clear but I didn't mean a dead battery. I meant you notice your lights have been on so you do a quick turn-over, let the car run for a few mins, and shut it back off... Will that provide the battery with a "quick re-charge" or is that question better suited for mythbusters???

Basically, my mechanic advised it as a battery draining prevention tip.. If you notice lights have been on in your car for x amount of time, and you simply turn them off, your battery could need a jump start should you attempt to start it the next morning. Instead, a quick start-up followed by allowing the engine to run for 3-5 mins will allow for a quick re-charge, and the car should be fine the next morning...???
I guess thats subjective how drained the battery is and such, but then again i would never suggest letting a M3 just get started for 5 minutes and shut down....