BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-11-2009, 03:24:43 PM   #1
Thespaceman

United States

Default Car died today. (P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A circuit) Need some help

Hi everyone, i'm new to the M3 world and recently purchased my 2004 M3 last week. The car is in amazing condition (1 owner) and had all the service history. The problem happened this morning on my way to work. I had cruise control on going about 65mph and the engine died. I tried to compression start while I was still coasting but without success. It cranks over and everything else works but it wonít start. I checked the code and it said 1/1 P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor). Has anyone had similar problems/same DTC? Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Jump to top Thespaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-11-2009, 03:27:14 PM   #2
///Mo
///M-azing

well, my input to you would be to just replace the sensor... it's an easy DIY, if i remember correctly.
Old Thu, Jun-11-2009, 04:35:18 PM   #3
vmchurch

United States

Just had the EXACT same problem less than a week ago.

1. Check fuel fuse under the hood. Takes 5 seconds and it will throw a 340 code if it is blown (mine did, found out it was the fuse after i bought the sensor)

2. If fuse is ok, replace the exhaust sensor. Located way the F back on the exhaust side of the head. Takes a 7mm Allen IIRC. Not real fun to get at, socket works best
Old Thu, Jun-11-2009, 08:50:03 PM   #4
Thespaceman

United States

vmchurch, I looked for a fuel fuse under the hood and the only fuses I found were under a cover on the driver’s side firewall. It looked like the ecu was there along with 5 small fuses and a few relays. I checked the fuses and there were no problems. Is that where you found the "under the hood fuse"? Also, if the DTC called for a fault in Bank 1 sensor, then why would I replace the exhaust CPS? I can see what you’re talking about when you say it’s not fun and the Intake CPS is even less fun Thanks for the help
Old Tue, Jun-16-2009, 03:03:40 AM   #5
Daniel T

United States

Did you get the issue resolved? I'm also getting a P0340 code but the car runs fine. I'm not sure if I need to change the intake or exhaust sensor.
Jump to top Daniel T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-17-2009, 04:41:23 AM   #6
Thespaceman

United States

I did not get the issued resolved. The mechanic is telling me my timing chain broke at 56,000miles. Im not sure where to go on this one, just bought the car last week.
Old Wed, Jun-17-2009, 12:27:05 PM   #7
bmwe46fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaceman View Post
I did not get the issued resolved. The mechanic is telling me my timing chain broke at 56,000miles. Im not sure where to go on this one, just bought the car last week.
Do you have this at a BMW dealer or the dealer you bought it from? I have NEVER heard of a timing chain actually breaking -- and if it did I think you would know it as all sorts of other nasty things would happen...

Based on your description this should be a simple exhaust sensor replacement - I would get your m3 to another shop immediately...
Jump to top bmwe46fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-27-2009, 03:03:36 AM   #8
trebm3
Pushing Rope

In the garage:

Bolivia

don't mean to bring back an old thread but wanted to see if this issue ever got fixed.

P0340 should be for intake sensor not exhaust sensor. Was just curious if you were able to find a fix for it? Mine just started having this issue a few days ago but the car is running perfect and I need to order parts tomorrow.
Jump to top trebm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-12-2009, 04:27:57 AM   #9
Thespaceman

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebm3 View Post
don't mean to bring back an old thread but wanted to see if this issue ever got fixed.

P0340 should be for intake sensor not exhaust sensor. Was just curious if you were able to find a fix for it? Mine just started having this issue a few days ago but the car is running perfect and I need to order parts tomorrow.
The reason I got a P0340 Intake cam position sensor failure was the intake cam stopped spinning but the rest of the engine did not. It turns out the bolts connecting the intake camshaft and cam gear broke causing the intake valves in cylinder 4 to bend. The aftermarket warranty company ended up replacing the entire engine. Sucks that it happened but at least I have a spare engine on a stand in my garage

One more thing, BMW has an updated intake cam position sensor for those of you having trouble.
Old Wed, Aug-12-2009, 05:55:28 AM   #10
Muscle
M is for Muscle

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaceman View Post
One more thing, BMW has an updated intake cam position sensor for those of you having trouble.
Do you happen to know for which year M3s specifically?