BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Mon, Oct-05-2009, 06:09:42 PM   #1
Jeppe

Default DIY: Subframe reinforcement epoxy/foam method. e46

Here I will show you how I did the subframe reinforcement using epoxy glue to mount the turner subframe reinforcement plates. And then reinforcing the subframe using the BMW foam method. The good thing about this method is that you can do everything yourself and you don't need to weld your chassis which can cause rust problems later.

In the BMW TIS they only inject structuring foam on the left side. I did the right as well just to be on the safe side.

What you need:
---------------------------------
Turner subframe reinforcement plates
3M Epoxy Glue 08115 x1

BMW TIS download here: e46_subframe_tis.pdf
Cavity foam 83 42 9 410 694 x1
Structuring foam 83 42 0 307 530 (x2 if you want to reinforce the right side as well)

Thinner or similar for cleaning the surface

Applicator gun. One for the Epoxy and one for the foam. I made my own.
---------------------------------

The applicator guns are really expensive and you need two. So I made my own from a regular applicator gun. This can be used with both the epoxy and the foam cartridges. But you can probably borrow the guns from a body shop.

Here I have sanded the plates down using a angle grinder with sanding plate.

Subframe sanded down.

Test fitting the plates.

Apply the epoxy using this type of tool.

Epoxy applied on the car.

And on the plates.

Mount the plates and tighten the bolts. You should see some epoxy squeezing out evenly around the edge of the plate. Make sure you don't block the small drainage holes with epoxy.

Use your hands with rubber gloves to spread out the epoxy around the edge of the plate. This is how it should look.

Then let it dry for 24hours +. I let it dry for 48hours before I painted the plates with rust protective paint. Finished!

Then it's time for the foam. It's good to have a print of the BMW TIS when doing this.

First drill a hole in the middle between the holes that are already there. You can see that I have made cuts in the floor, this is not necessary when doing the foam method. I was going to do the welding, thats why its cut.

Here you can see the hole hiding underneath.

Then remove the sound deadening to find this hole.

If you plan on doing the right side as well you don't need to look for this hole on the right side. It isn't there, I have looked..

Then fill the two holes with cavity foam as explained in the BMW TIS. Make sure you empty out the rest of the can somewhere or else it will explode!

Preheat the structuring foam to about 60C in a water bath.

Wait 10min then inject the structuring foam as explained in the BMW TIS.

After injecting two cartridges of structuring foam into this hole. The foam expands a lot and fills up your subframe. Some foam will protrude out of this hole and the small drainage holes under the car. Inject two cartridges into the right hole also if you want to reinforce that side as well like I did.

Let it dry for 24hours. Car must not be moved during the hardening period.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jeppe; Wed, Dec-18-2013 at 08:42:53 PM.
Jump to top Jeppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-05-2009, 06:51:07 PM   #2
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Most excellent. Will be stickying this in the DIY section so it can be kept where people can find it!
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster.
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - the REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-05-2009, 09:03:14 PM   #3
RBC44

United States

Fantastic DIY! Congrats.

"Equal Justice Under Law"
Mods: BMW Motorsport 4.10 Diff (REM Polished); Euro Headers/Cats; Evolve-R Tune; VibraTechnics Engine Mounts and Transmission Mount; Stainless Steel Brake Lines; Mason Engineering GSP Clutch Pedal; Dinan Muffler; RAC 63 18" Wheels (silver) w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires; 17" Winter Wheels w/Michelin Pilot Alpin 3 Tires; AutoSolutions SSK (30% throw); CPI Rasp Terminator; Koni Yellow Shocks; Hotchkis Sway Bars; CDV Delete; Streamline Panel Filter; Stainless Steel Shift Knob and Ebrake Handle; Stainless Steel Pedal Set; Leather Z IR Shift Boot; Tekarbon 1/2CF CSL Style Diffuser; Dice Silverline Ipod Integration Kit; BeemerEvolution IR Dash Gauge Rings; Micro Antenna; M3 Trunk Mat; Stealth Bulbs; Eurotray; Eurowise Billet S54 Dipstick; SGM Hardtop; Vert. Windblocker; LeatherZ Spare Tire Kit; LeatherZ IR Shift Boot; IR Arm Rest; BMW Advanced Charging System; Body Colored Reflectors; Venture Shield Clear Bra; Keyhole Delete; BMW Car Cover.
Jump to top RBC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-06-2009, 12:45:19 AM   #4
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Jeppe! Thanks for this DIY bro! Now i can get it done on my car soon
EURO 04 M3 Current Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / Black Roundels / ///MFEST Badges / Depo Corners / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-06-2009, 01:39:02 PM   #5
B1mmerM
'11.5 E92 M3, '05 X5 4.8is

United States

Wow, excellent DIY. Where can we purchase the foam? I checked a few online sources like Tischer and didn't see those part numbers listed. Do we have to visit our dealer to get our hands on it?

I already have the Turner kit welded in however it does hurt to also inject the foam. It should stiffen up the rear as well.

Drives: '11.5 Interlagos Blue E92 M3, '05 LeMans Blue X5 4.8is
Sold: '03.5 Mystic Blue E46 M3 | Angel Eyes DIY
Jump to top B1mmerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-06-2009, 02:38:17 PM   #6
00 XE7EN

Bangladesh

how difficult would you say this is to do? this doesnt seem too difficult for the average weekend diy'er like me
AA Gen IV exhaust/SS unresonated section 2/CPI Section I/AP V2 headers/Evolve Tune/UUC SSK/JIC Cross Coilovers/
Jump to top 00 XE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-06-2009, 03:07:53 PM   #7
Jeppe

Thanks guys, hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likev View Post
Wow, excellent DIY. Where can we purchase the foam? I checked a few online sources like Tischer and didn't see those part numbers listed. Do we have to visit our dealer to get our hands on it?

I already have the Turner kit welded in however it does hurt to also inject the foam. It should stiffen up the rear as well.
Any BMW parts store should be able to order it for you. It's BMW part numbers. Otherwise try your dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XE7EN View Post
how difficult would you say this is to do? this doesnt seem too difficult for the average weekend diy'er like me
It's easy. The most difficult part is getting the subframe down if your doing the plates as well.
Old Tue, Oct-06-2009, 03:46:30 PM   #8
B1mmerM
'11.5 E92 M3, '05 X5 4.8is

United States

I contacted Tischer and they said, "NLA(No Longer Available) for US dealerships to order from BMW".

Drives: '11.5 Interlagos Blue E92 M3, '05 LeMans Blue X5 4.8is
Sold: '03.5 Mystic Blue E46 M3 | Angel Eyes DIY
Jump to top B1mmerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-06-2009, 03:53:30 PM   #9
mpegripper

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
Most excellent. Will be stickying this in the DIY section so it can be kept where people can find it!
i vote not to sticky it right away, otherwise it won't get the proper press it deserves
Jump to top mpegripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-06-2009, 05:34:45 PM   #10
Jeppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by likev View Post
I contacted Tischer and they said, "NLA(No Longer Available) for US dealerships to order from BMW".
Hmm.. I ordered it from GS Bildeler here in Norway. The page is all in Norwegian but you can send them an e-mail. They can probably send you the foam.