BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Dec-22-2009, 09:21:21 PM   #1
ShafferMD
M3 Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Default Tire Rub - Passenger Side

Had new tires fitted over a month ago...Upsized to the next alternative per MadRussian's recommendations. Currently running 245 / 275 x 18" combo.

Upon install, no issues with rubbing at all. Great fit...until today!

It appears the passenger side lower spring perch is barely rubbing on the inside edge of the tire. Sounded like a wicked engine knock at first, but slowed with vehicle speed. I thought there could have been a large stone or something in the tread, but upon investigation found interference with the spring perch to be the culprit.

I lowered the tire pressure 10psi just to get it home (~2.5 miles) without rubbing.

My question is...can the spring perch rotate? I am charging my camera batteries so I can post pics. The driver side looks fine, no issues at all. The passenger side is waay too close, but appears that if the spring perch would rotate then it would clear just like the driver's side.

Again, pics will be posted ASAP.

Please let me know your opinions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver Side.JPG (39.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger Side.JPG (41.9 KB, 71 views)

PERFORMANCE: 245/275 PS || CDV Delete || Clutch Stop || BMW SSK || RE RTAB's || APPEARANCE: Invisibulbs || AC Schnitzer Pedals || Custom Toolkit w/ M3Forum Decal || Painted Reflectors || 55W Xenon Matched Fogs CONVENIENCE: Eurotray || Dynavin V4 DVD/NAV

Ask me anything about Powdercoating!
PM me for Metric Clutch Stop sourcing

Last edited by ShafferMD; Tue, Dec-22-2009 at 09:38:44 PM. Reason: Pics Added
Jump to top ShafferMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Dec-22-2009, 09:46:33 PM   #2
slammine46
SLAMMINE46

Philippines

mine was rubbin a little with 20s i raised it by loosening the bottom strut bolt and pushing it up a quarter of n inch on both sides hope this helps ......your camber could also b a little off
Jump to top slammine46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-22-2009, 10:18:32 PM   #3
ShafferMD
M3 Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Default Willing to try...for now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammine46 View Post
mine was rubbin a little with 20s i raised it by loosening the bottom strut bolt and pushing it up a quarter of n inch on both sides hope this helps ......your camber could also b a little off

Did the strut try to push down when you loosened the lower strut clamp bolt? Unless someone else has some feedback, I am willing to try this fix for now.

I think that if I had about another 32nd wear on my tires the rub would be gone...but I am concerned as to what made this happen...

The rub is so slight that it has only worn the paint off the lower perch and you can't even notice anything cutting or witness marks on the tire.

I measured the distance from the bottom of the strut to the lower strut clamp and there's only about .004" difference between passenger and driver sides. The real problem appears to be the rotation of the oblonged lower strut perch and the offset bend in the perch itself. When comparing to the driver's side, the rotation of the oblonged offset is @ about 5 o'clock when viewed from tire center. This position places the offset off the tire. When viewed from the passenger tire center, the offset is @ about 7 o'clock...this puts the kinked offset over the outside wall of the tire.

I am not sure if this all makes sense to you, but the pictures in my first post go a long way in helping to define my problem.

Please let me know if there are any other solutions other than raising my strut...I fear that will change things (perhaps negatively) other than just providing clearance.

PERFORMANCE: 245/275 PS || CDV Delete || Clutch Stop || BMW SSK || RE RTAB's || APPEARANCE: Invisibulbs || AC Schnitzer Pedals || Custom Toolkit w/ M3Forum Decal || Painted Reflectors || 55W Xenon Matched Fogs CONVENIENCE: Eurotray || Dynavin V4 DVD/NAV

Old Tue, Dec-22-2009, 11:25:34 PM   #4
ShafferMD
M3 Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Default Anybody?

Bump...nobody has any insight?

Old Wed, Dec-23-2009, 12:28:07 AM   #5
lsb

United States

Default r/f spring mount

I did read that someone had the same problem is you and i. He wrote in his post that he did in fact rotate the pass. side lower spring mount.
It would involve removing the strut assembly and roving the spring. It looks as if you would need to knock it up and off, you could then rotate and reinstall.
I ended up decreasing my front tires from 265/35/19 to 235/35/19 w/20mm spacers until i receive my (new to me) struts from the rebuilder.
Old Wed, Dec-23-2009, 03:00:42 AM   #6
///M.EngT

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsb View Post
I did read that someone had the same problem is you and i. He wrote in his post that he did in fact rotate the pass. side lower spring mount.
It would involve removing the strut assembly and roving the spring. It looks as if you would need to knock it up and off, you could then rotate and reinstall.
I ended up decreasing my front tires from 265/35/19 to 235/35/19 w/20mm spacers until i receive my (new to me) struts from the rebuilder.
I love your sig'
Jump to top ///M.EngT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-23-2009, 09:15:36 PM   #7
lsb

United States

^^^ thanks, looks like i am in suspended animation.(zero roll)
Old Tue, Jun-08-2010, 01:03:54 PM   #8
gregoryp

Default Same Problem

I was looking at the tread wear on my front tires and noticed that my right front spring perch is also super close to the tire. It looks like if I got new tires they would rub. Currently the right front has more wear on the inside of the tire than the left side, so maybe my camber is off a bit. But the step in the perch is definatley in a different position than the left side. Can you actually rotate the spring perch?
Jump to top gregoryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-08-2010, 01:31:56 PM   #9
gregoryp

I was looking at the parts diagram on the Real OEM site and it looks like you could just rotate the whole strut by loosening the clamp where it attaches to the knuckle. Anyone done this? I might pull it apart and look at it tonight.
Jump to top gregoryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-08-2010, 03:50:23 PM   #10
ECSTuning
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

We have spacers specific for the E46 M3 available below...

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Please let me know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

ECS Tuning your #1 source for all things German automotive
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Jump to top ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote