BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Sep-17-2010, 10:14:16 PM   #1
nis350

United States

Default Help - Radiator hose fitting removal?

After reading posts about radiator hose removal, I am still unclear on the removal procedures.

The upper and lower radiator rubber are hoses attached to this hard plastic fittings that connect to the radiator outlets. They both have this round wire ring on it. Do I just remove the round wire ring and just pull apart the hard plastic fitting from the outlet of the radiator? Do I need to twist it certain way or release any other clamps?

Do I need to replace any gasket on the fittings for reinstall?

Thanks....
Jump to top nis350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Sep-18-2010, 06:11:25 AM   #2
tom_m3

In the garage:

United States

Default removing the radiator hose with metal clip

I removed the lower radiator hose to flush my coolant on my E46 M3 recently and I will describe the process. Using a small screwdriver or L shaped pick lift up on the metal clip/ring. I found that on the lower hose it was easy to do from the top with the hood open, using the tool pull up (in the direction of the sky). The clip will move up about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and stay in that position. Now comes the hard part. Even though with the clip in the unlocked position and the hose is no longer locked to the radiator, it is still on pretty tight.

From under the car (car on jack stands in the front) with the plastic belly pan removed you need to grab the plastic fitting and rock it back and forth until it pulls off the radiator. This is usually easier said than done. Do not use screwdrivers to try to pry the hose apart, the plastic of the fitting and radiator is not that strong and will break off. The fitting and hose can not be twisted but only rocked. I had to wear gloves and rock up and down and pull back until the fitting disconnected from the plastic radiator (coolant will pour out). You will have to cuse and pull hard it is not an easy fitting to remove. The lower hose has little clearance on the sides so you will have to grab the top and bottom. It might be easier to look at and remove the upper radiator hose for practice if you are not familar to this kind of connection. I have the same type of connection on my audi.

The fitting has a o-ring inside the connector and it seem to reseal without have to replace anything. When putting the fitting back on the radiator. Lift the locking ring to the unlocked position as described above. Wet the contacting surfaces of the plastic fitting with coolant to make it slide well. Using a rocking motion you need to push the fitting back on. The lower hose has very little space to grab so you have to really push and slightly rock the fitting until the fitting is completely on. When the fitting is completely on the locking ring will tend to snap back and stay. If the fitting is not on completely the metal ring will not snap back all the way. Check to see that it locked on by trying to remove the hose. I found that it took some time to get it pushed back on completely.

Make sure the fitting is completely on since you don't want that hose to come off when you are driving since your car will lose all its coolant very fast and overheat. When I was an engineer at ford a large radiator hose coming off the radiator was the number one reason for overheating and warping a cylinder head on a new car.

Last edited by tom_m3; Sat, Sep-18-2010 at 06:16:22 AM.
Jump to top tom_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-18-2010, 06:24:21 AM   #3
nis350

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_m3 View Post
I removed the lower radiator hose to flush my coolant on my E46 M3 recently and I will describe the process. Using a small screwdriver or L shaped pick lift up on the metal clip/ring. I found that on the lower hose it was easy to do from the top with the hood open, using the tool pull up (in the direction of the sky). The clip will move up about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and stay in that position. Now comes the hard part. Even though with the clip in the unlocked position and the hose is no longer locked to the radiator, it is still on pretty tight.

From under the car (car on jack stands in the front) with the plastic belly pan removed you need to grab the plastic fitting and rock it back and forth until it pulls off the radiator. This is usually easier said than done. Do not use screwdrivers to try to pry the hose apart, the plastic of the fitting and radiator is not that strong and will break off. The fitting and hose can not be twisted but only rocked. I had to wear gloves and rock up and down and pull back until the fitting disconnected from the plastic radiator (coolant will pour out). You will have to cuse and pull hard it is not an easy fitting to remove. The lower hose has little clearance on the sides so you will have to grab the top and bottom. It might be easier to look at and remove the upper radiator hose for practice if you are not familar to this kind of connection. I have the same type of connection on my audi.

The fitting has a o-ring inside the connector and it seem to reseal without have to replace anything. When putting the fitting back on the radiator. Lift the locking ring to the unlocked position as described above. Wet the contacting surfaces of the plastic fitting with coolant to make it slide well. Using a rocking motion you need to push the fitting back on. The lower hose has very little space to grab so you have to really push and slightly rock the fitting until the fitting is completely on. When the fitting is completely on the locking ring will tend to snap back and stay. If the fitting is not on completely the metal ring will not snap back all the way. Check to see that it locked on by trying to remove the hose. I found that it took some time to get it pushed back on completely.

Make sure the fitting is completely on since you don't want that hose to come off when you are driving since your car will lose all its coolant very fast and overheat. When I was an engineer at ford a large radiator hose coming off the radiator was the number one reason for overheating and warping a cylinder head on a new car.
Thank you much for the clarification.
Jump to top nis350 is offline   Reply With Quote