BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Mon, May-14-2012, 09:51:56 PM   #91
metal_militia

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Looking for Opinions on JRZ RS Suspension Performance on Street & Track E46 M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead.....

Look what the Easter Bunny brought me....... A set of JRZ RS Shocks

The additional hardware you see are GC Race Camber Plates, GC Monoball RSMs, OEM Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates and GC Articulating Jacks (not pictured). For spring rates, I went with Hypercoil 500 F/650 R.
Have you had any time to test your new set-up? This is pretty close to what I am looking to purchase in the coming weeks and would love to hear what you have to say about them.
Jump to top metal_militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-16-2012, 10:50:03 AM   #92
jmciver

United States

Default Re: Looking for Opinions on JRZ RS Suspension Performance on Street & Track E46 M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_militia View Post
Have you had any time to test your new set-up? This is pretty close to what I am looking to purchase in the coming weeks and would love to hear what you have to say about them.
Not yet unfortunately. Some delays with getting a few smaller parts and my job have prevented me from getting the car on the road when I wanted. However, car should car should be on the road this week with my first DE planned for late June.
Jump to top jmciver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-17-2012, 01:56:39 AM   #93
metal_militia

In the garage:

Canada

Nice! Please post an update when you get the chance.
Jump to top metal_militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-21-2012, 11:45:30 PM   #94
jmciver

United States

tjpatte,

Did you need a spacer for the front wheels to clear the strut? I finally got my car on the ground with my 18x9.5 MT1 wheels with 257/35-18 Continental scrubs and noticed that the tires hit the strut (specifically the ride height adjustment collars) at about 1.25 turns or so. Looks like I may need at least a 5mm spacer.

The funny part is, I was not expecting this issue based on previous research on these shocks and only figured it out when I turned the wheels so that I could adjust the compression settings with the car on the ground.
Old Tue, May-22-2012, 02:09:05 AM   #95
tjpatte

United States

James,

No rubbing on mine and no spacers, but I'm running 245 Conti's on RG63's.
Old Tue, May-22-2012, 03:51:18 AM   #96
70chevelle

In the garage:

United States

I ended up throwing a 5mm spacer on the front of my car b/c I was having the same issue with 18x9.5's and 275's
Jump to top 70chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2012, 10:02:45 AM   #97
jmciver

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelle View Post
I ended up throwing a 5mm spacer on the front of my car b/c I was having the same issue with 18x9.5's and 275's
Glad to see I was not the only one. It was a bit of a surprise to me as I don't really remember reading anything about guys needing spacers up front with this wheel/tire size combo and a coilover type suspension other than to clear a BBK (which I don't have).
Old Tue, May-22-2012, 11:09:04 AM   #98
70chevelle

In the garage:

United States

I think it just depends on the wheels. I had to run the spacer with a set of D-Force wheels (I know all the horror stories on those wheels before you guys start, lol), but I don't really need to run them with a set of SSR wheels that I have. I can't remember right off hand what the offsets of the wheels are, but they are very close to each other if not the same
Jump to top 70chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2012, 01:10:04 PM   #99
DanAvoN7

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelle View Post
I think it just depends on the wheels. I had to run the spacer with a set of D-Force wheels (I know all the horror stories on those wheels before you guys start, lol), but I don't really need to run them with a set of SSR wheels that I have. I can't remember right off hand what the offsets of the wheels are, but they are very close to each other if not the same
It will depend on the wheel specs, not the wheel model. Your wheels (or tire size/model given the same wheel specs) are different fitment which is giving one setup more strut clearance. Your SSR wheels are a lower offset if they are the same width as the D-Force wheels.

BBS LM w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sport's, Apex EC-7 w/ BFG R1, Apex ARC-8 w/ Hankook Z214 C51's, TCKline D/A Coilovers, Vorshlag Camber plates, PFC BBK, Turner Camber Arms, Turner Sway Bars, Turner Subframe bushings, Turner Solid RTAB, Turner Solid Control Arm bushings, Treehouse Racing FCAB, Reinforced Subframe, OS Giken LSD, Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts, SGT Headers, SGT Section 1, Dinan Exhaust, Vorsteiner V-CSL Bumper, Vorsteiner V-CSL Trunk, Vorsteiner V-CSL Diffuser, Kirk Racing Roll Bar, Recaro SPG XL, Scroth Profi 2 Harness
Jump to top DanAvoN7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-16-2012, 07:38:19 PM   #100
STALKER

Reputation: 578 STALKER has a reputation beyond reputeSTALKER has a reputation beyond reputeSTALKER has a reputation beyond reputeSTALKER has a reputation beyond reputeSTALKER has a reputation beyond reputeSTALKER has a reputation beyond repute

Canada

Best dual set up I have had on this car by a long shot.

Street.
I and running 500/800 Hypercoil springs and the street ride is great. It is firm, but there is no harshness in the suspension at all. The shocks truly do absorb the bumps instead of just trying to go over them compared to other set ups I have had on the M3. I live in downtown Toronto, and the streets here are very poor. Cracked pavement, large expansion joints, street car tracks, pot holes...you name it we got it. You know the bumps are there, the car does not mask them, but it deals with them all very well and does not translate the harshness or the impact to the passengers. When Im running on my 19" street set up, the ride is actually very nice, freeway cruising is a joy with these. They have a better street ride then my Moton SS and KW CS kits.

Track.
Now I have only had one proper track day on them, the last event I was ill, and the event before that was very cold and my tires could not get up to temp.
I went to a yearly event held by a friend of mine at Shannonville Raceway. Its a mix of low speed and medium speed corners with two straights, can hit about 195KM on the back straight. There is one high speed corner and nice double apex that you can carry some good speed through. The surface is rough, and its a mix of mostly asphalt with some concrete patches I think.
Initially I had the shocks set up at 10/8 clicks from full soft, there are 22 in total. I am only running -1.8 camber up front, but hoping to get the resolved and dial in some more for my next event at Watkins Glen in 2 weeks. Initially the car was a bit slow to react, or slower then I like and I was getting a bit of mid to late corner oversteer, but very progressive, not scary at all. The rear would squat properly when I caught on the power, set and roll, but then on some corners it would slide a bit more then I thought was acceptable compared to the my other set ups when I get on the power. I pumped it up to 12/10, it got a better....then I emailed James@BW from the track and he gave me a few suggestions and we pumped it up to 14/12. I tried a few other combos too, but for this particular track 14/12 worked great. The car was extremely stable, not harsh at all, the surface here is not smooth and like to use the curbing. it still had a touch of mid corner over steer, but much better and it was easily controlled with proper throttle control.
Im really impressed how the car is stiff, but yet remained to so compliant over the bumps on the track and it never never got unsettled, even when I was being a bit dump with it. I think if I tracked more, I could properly even go with a stiffer set up.

Im going to change up the alignment settings a bit to try to get a more positive turn in with more camber. Hopefully my shop can figure out why its only letting me dial in -1.8, Im running GC plates.

Also, its great how Bimmerworld stands behind what they sell. The shocks were getting noisy, BW sent me new ones, they provided me real time assistance at the track, and I will continue to use them for these reason.

If you have any questions about the RS1s or my setup, please feel free to ask me.

If there are any grammar or spelling mistakes, I apologize, I wrote this on my iPad in the car rather quickly(no I'm not driving), LOL.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-Produced, but not delivered.
Jump to top STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote