BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 07:21:38 PM   #1
GBurns

In the garage:

United States

Default Lang Racing "Bulletproof" S54 and E46 M3

EDIT: This build thread is old. A new thread will be made soon to illustrate the progress and advancement of this unique engine build.

This thread is about an engine failure and the subsequent pursuit by Lang Racing Development to build me the most reliable “high output” N/A S54 engine and street E46 M3. The build will focus mainly on permanent fixes for VANOS, Rod Bearing and rear Subframe failure.

Engine
Stage 2 Cylinder Head
Cometic Head Gasket
Custom Racetec (Autotec) Forged 4032 High Silicone Aluminum Alloy Pistons including piston rings, and chromoly wrist pins (Racetec is a company started by the guy who owned JE Pistons for 20+ years)
Supertech Dual Valve Springs, Seats, and Retainer kit
Custom Ground Crankshaft (Heat treated, Nitrided, Balanced)
Eagle Rods for Lang Racing custom Wide Rod Bearing Solution
Read about it here:
Part one - (http://www.langracing.com/finding-a-...aring-failure/)
Part two – (http://www.langracing.com/addressing...ification-kit/)
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Head Studs
AKG Engine mounts
AKG Transmission Mounts
TMS Power Pulley Kit

Rotating mass balanced
Block line honed

VANOS
Besian VANOS Solenoid Coil Pack
Besian VANOS Oil Pump Disk
Besian VANOS Seals Repair Kit
Besian VANOS Rattle Repair Kit
Besian VANOS Sealing Plate Repair Kit
Z4M VANOS Bolts
OEM Exhaust side upper chain guide (known to fail)

Subframe
Rear Subframe Reinforcement by TIG welding steel reinforcement plates
Read about it here: (http://www.langracing.com/e46-bmw-re...reinforcement/)
AKG Solid Aluminum Subframe Mounts

I decided to go with a full VANOS rebuild with Besian parts, the Lang Racing Wide Rod Bearing Solution, and a complete rear subframe reinforcement. I am confident that with this build Lang Racing Developments will achieve a very reliable street E46 M3 by providing unique solutions to the most problematic areas of the S54 and E46 M3 body. Stay tuned for updates on the progress of this special build!

UPDATE 10/15/13:
After doing all of the maths it was decided that it was best to widen the bore to 87.5 mm from the stock 87.0 mm, making the new displacement closer to 3.3 L; the compression ratio will also be raised to 12:1, from the stock 11.5:1. Theoretically, all of this means more power.

Here are some pictures:

UPDATE 11/5/13:

Bottom end with ARP main studs.

Main Bearing clearance.

Finally, a teaser pic of the engine. The head was finished and pistons were installed but I'll post pictures of that later

UPDATE 11/12/13:

Pistons and Rods

Cylinder Head

Intake ports

Exhaust ports

UPDATE 11/14/13:

Subframe

The subframe mounting points were cleaned, then the reinforcement plates were TIG welded on. The old subframe bushings were pressed out and replaced with AKG solid aluminum mounts. Next, the rosette welds will be ground flat so the subframe will sit flush to the mounts, followed by the Wurth process of self-etching primer, seam sealer, and SKS stone guard. Finally, the rear-end will be pressure washed before reinstallation.

Subframe with AKG solid aluminum mounts

AKG solid aluminum mount

The story: It all began when the engine of my current E46 M3 failed. I was driving on the highway one day when all of a sudden I heard a loud ticking noise, and before I could pull over, the engine failed. As I looked for signs to verify my hypothesis of catastrophic engine failure I came across this in my tailpipes:

Shocked, to say the least, I knew it was something serious. At that point, I called a flat-bed to come pick it up and take it to a local indy shop here in town.

There at the indy shop, I requested that they take off the valve cover to see what they could find. It wasn’t long until they noticed that 3 valve shims were misplaced and sitting next to the exhaust port of cylinder #5; the top of the piston in cylinder #5 had been destroyed (presumably by valve contact), and one of the tabs on my VANOS exhaust hub had cracked - but did not seem to allow enough debris to cause such catastrophic engine failure from the timing chain. (Sorry, I don’t have pictures) At 96,338 miles it is possible that the damage could have been initially caused by rod bearing failure, or simply a lack of maintenance from the previous two owners. I have only owned my current M3 for a few months. My first M3 had 159k miles on the engine and it was much healthier (no VANOS tabs broken, no ticking) and pulled much harder than my current one that had just blown at 96K miles – which leads me to believe that mileage doesn't necessarily have significance as to the integrity of the car, well performed maintenance does. Other than rod bearing failure and/or lack of maintenance, the failure could have likely been caused by valve retainer failure. (Note: A further inspection by Lang Racing will likely produce evidence for the main cause of failure)

UPDATE 11/12/13:
Andrew was able to confirm that the failure of my engine was caused by a spun rod bearing on piston #5. Both Andrew and I have never seen an S54 in such poor condition. It is remarkable how someone can take such poor care of an engine and then sell it to someone, knowing that it is only matter of time until there is catastrophic failure. The thing that disappoints me the most is that I bought the car from a fellow M3F member, who has owned two E46 M3's. Goes to show that you can't trust anyone but yourself. Regardless, I have learned some important and valuable "life" lessons from this whole experience. Without further ado, I give you the worst looking S54 you have ever seen:

:u srs:

At that point I told the indy shop to stop their work, because I knew that I would need a rebuilt engine. It was then that I came across Lang Racing Developments (http://www.langracing.com/about-us/). What really interested me about the company is that the S54 is one of the engines they really focus on in many aspects, as they use the engine for their racecars and have already built many of them for other customers.

L.R. BMW ///M3 SMG 2004 /// Silbergrau & Imola /// Journal /// Engine Build
Performance: Lang Racing Built Engine / (280/272) Schrick Cams / Karbonius CSL Airbox / CSL DME / TTFS Tune
/ AEM E85 High Flow Fuel Pump / Bosch Green Giant 42lb Injectors / TMS Power Pulley Kit / TTFS SMG Tune / HPF
Titanium Exhaust / TopSpeed Headers / Section 1 Rasp Pipe / Status Gruppe X-Pipe / Besian VANOS / TTFS AIT
Sensor / Lang Racing CSL CF Roof / Seibon CF Trunk Lid

Wheels & Suspension: HRE Fall-Line Motorsports Wheels / KW V2 Coilovers / GC Camber Plates / AKG Engine,
Transmission & Subframe Mounts / Lang Racing Subframe Reinforcement / Powerflex RTABís

Last edited by GBurns; Tue, Jan-12-2016 at 07:15:01 AM.
Jump to top GBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 07:25:13 PM   #2
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Default Re: Lang Racing "Bulletproof" S54 and E46 M3

Awesome. Can't wait to see the updates from this.
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 07:45:48 PM   #3
Inflame333

United States

Should've just cut the wheel into the wall! Lol

Good luck! Looks like it'll be a sweet car.
Jump to top Inflame333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 08:06:23 PM   #4
ML///M3
Sunday Drive NYC

United States

This is going to be serious. I am interested in the engine building process. As each step happens can you share you discoveries or observations? Curious to see how this goes. Good luck.

Jump to top ML///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 08:42:13 PM   #5
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

In for updates! When does the car ship West?

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 08:52:28 PM   #6
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Also, G, what route did you decide to take your internals? NA or prep for F/I?

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 09:36:00 PM   #7
PowerBroker
BOOBS

United States

Nice but I'm still going to smoke you with my 4.10s .

Good luck with the build Gunzie, I can't wait to check it out in person.

Check out my Build Thread

Jump to top PowerBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 09:50:41 PM   #8
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Sub'd for results, GL w/the build!
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 09:52:38 PM   #9
meccanoble
///M3CCANOBLE

United States

sucks man. I am shocked to see engine failures. I know you only had car for a few months but did you do any maintenance since getting the car?

Eisenmann Race 83mm + section II| RE Rasp Pipe| D/A Street Software| Vogtland Springs| KONI Yellow Adjustables| Kenwood KDC X994| smoked LED tails & corners| 330 SSK/knob/boot| Dynaudio 362 Comps (custom kicks) & 2X 10" Alpine type r subs| Alpine PDX 4.150 & 1.1000| Matte gille/grille| Clifford 50.7x pager alarm| Clutchstop (1 1/4")| CDV Delete| Stoptech SS lines/Powerslot Slotted Rotors/OEM pads| Poly RTABS| Armrest Delete| Umnitza V4 Opaque AE|

R.I.P.

04 Mystic Blue w/ Cinnamon SMG (STOCK)
Jump to top meccanoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-20-2013, 10:04:59 PM   #10
GBurns

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
In for updates! When does the car ship West?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
Also, G, what route did you decide to take your internals? NA or prep for F/I?
It ships west whenever I have the time to put it on my trailer and drive it there haha. I'm moving this weekend and I think I may have next weekend planned as well, but hopefully soon! And I chose N/A. Ultimately, I want a good reliable car that I can enjoy for years to come. If I want to go F/I I will just have to get myself an M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBroker View Post
Nice but I'm still going to smoke you with my 4.10s .

Good luck with the build Gunzie, I can't wait to check it out in person.
Haha we will have to see about that! It will be an interesting race for sure. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Sub'd for results, GL w/the build!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meccanoble View Post
sucks man. I am shocked to see engine failures. I know you only had car for a few months but did you do any maintenance since getting the car?
I did an oil change the day I got it. Changed out the clutch and a bunch of other transmission internals. Can't remember what else I did. The P/O said that a valve adjustment had been done within the last 10k miles and that the VANOS tabs were intact. I shouldn't have trusted him and just done a complete inspection myself AS WELL as a blackstone Lab report. I guess I was so naive because my first M3 never gave me any problems and when I did the valve adjustment on it myself, everything was perfectly normal. I hope people who are reading this can learn from my mistakes

L.R. BMW ///M3 SMG 2004 /// Silbergrau & Imola /// Journal /// Engine Build
Performance: Lang Racing Built Engine / (280/272) Schrick Cams / Karbonius CSL Airbox / CSL DME / TTFS Tune
/ AEM E85 High Flow Fuel Pump / Bosch Green Giant 42lb Injectors / TMS Power Pulley Kit / TTFS SMG Tune / HPF
Titanium Exhaust / TopSpeed Headers / Section 1 Rasp Pipe / Status Gruppe X-Pipe / Besian VANOS / TTFS AIT
Sensor / Lang Racing CSL CF Roof / Seibon CF Trunk Lid

Wheels & Suspension: HRE Fall-Line Motorsports Wheels / KW V2 Coilovers / GC Camber Plates / AKG Engine,
Transmission & Subframe Mounts / Lang Racing Subframe Reinforcement / Powerflex RTABís
Jump to top GBurns is offline   Reply With Quote